Sunday, February 13, 2011

Being Healthier

What is this a picture of? Homemade Yogurt. Well, I made my first batch of homemade yogurt last night and when I woke up this morning it was ready! We had it tonight as a snack before the kids went to bed and it was good. I added some honey for the kids. Jonathan said it was GOOD! We have been going through lots of yogurt, I decided that this past month I spent around 25 dollars in yogurt (give or take) and the yogurt maker is only 30 dollars! So I would have it payed off in a month! I was very impressed with the yogurt maker, I tried to make it in the crock pot and it was way to milky and thin for me. But with the maker I just used whole mil, powder milk and a yogurt starter and there you go!
We, as a family are trying to eat healthier and so we are trying to eliminate MSG and high fructose corn syrup in our diet. And the high fructose corn syrup seems to be in everything!! So we are trying to make things from starch more and be more observant with the things we buy. We have been buying bountiful baskets (food co op) once a week, which has been forcing me to cook with more vegetables and eat more fruit. It also pushes us outside our comfort zone with the things we usually eat! To better living!!

No comments: