Saturday, June 20, 2009

My Tri

Yesterday, I did my first tri after having Jonathan and Sarah I was very nervous and not sure if I was fit enough to do it! However things went great! It was so nice cause it was just down the street from our house. I rode my bike there.
This is arriving at the TRI
The kids had to wake up early, and you can tell by there faces!
Walking over to the group meeting to discuss the course. When they were discussing the swim, I thought it looked longer then I previously remember. But it was nice we biked in our neighborhood, and the run was right around the park!
Right before getting in the cold water!
That's me in the blue cap!
Seeing Dave in the water. The hardest part of the tri is the swim part. With that said, there were three buoys that I had to pass and getting to the first buoy I panic a little and was unsure of if I could do it, I also got a little light headed. But, after passing the the first orange buoy and seeing where the end was I was okay. With swimming in open water you have to check yourself every few strokes to make sure that you are heading in the right direction!
My official cheerleaders, along with Grammy, Papa and Jonathan!
Doing my best!
Finally Done
Striping off my wetsuit, and preparing to go into my bike leg!
The transition area!
So cute!
The Bike leg! During the bike leg there was a girl that I kept racing back and forth. She would try to pass me and then I would pass her. Well, in the transition from Bike to Run. She beat me out to the run cause she didn't have to change her shoes. But I soon caught up to her and passed her on the run. Below is me passing her!
It was fun to see all my "Cheerleaders" throughout the course. It made me happy. It also felt good to be challenged physically and to be a little competitive in passing people on the bike and run!
Finishing!
I did better then I thought I would!

Jonathan missed me and wanted to right after I was done!




After the race I rode back home, I felt good but very tried! Dave is going to do one next year, which I am very excited for. We loved this one cause it was so close- during the bike leg my Grandparents cheered me on I loved it! Thanks everyone for all your support!

6 comments:

Marcie Kump said...

Way to go Shirlene! That's a lot of pictures, too! We are super proud of you! Maybe it will inspire us. :)

Our Family said...

I know it is a lot of pics but it is journal for me- and I wanted to go through each phrase!

Liz said...

Congrats! Great job! It makes me consider possibly doing one sometime, maybe! :)

Jessica Munk said...

That is AWESOME!!! Congratulations!! Wow! I am sooo impressed! The swimming would panic me too. You did great!!

Julia said...

Great job Shirlene! I am so proud of you for keeping yourself in such great shape and pushing yourself to do things that you love. You're inspiring!

Sarah Keith said...

THAT IS SO IMPRESSIVE! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I WOULD LOVE TO DO ONE OF THOSE, BUT THE SWIMMING SOSO HOLDS ME BACK! YOU ARE AMAZING!