Monday, November 7, 2011

Halloween Half



I am a byu fan!

Sisters!

At the camp!

Do you need a Potty, well right before starting the race they were ful with lines going down the hill!

Waiting in the tent! Trying to stay warm!


Waiting for Mommy!








This is how we really felt, with our wonderful husbands!


Back in August Kristi asked me if I wanted to do a half with her, I wanted to think about it and I really wanted to do it with Dave! Well, at first Dave said yes and we started training and for one reason or other Dave pulled out (which made me sad). But, I kept training and I was determined to do it with Kristi! So Kristi and I printed out a schedule and we kept each other on track! I really enjoyed training with Kristi even though we never ran together it was fun to text each other about our runs and how we were doing! Well, the training seemed long, 12 weeks long, and we were glad that the day finally came!

We picked up our packets and that was a mess in its self. We had to be at the bus to be transported to the start at 6 am and the race didn't start till 9 am. Well, Dave volunteered to take us up there to the start! I was so thankful for that!! Well, it was really cold when we got there but they had a heated tent for the runners. There was tons of people, but it was fun- music/Halloween contests!
Well, it finally was time to go to the start! Kristi and I started together and it was about 6 mile decline. It was fast down hill, at one point I told Kristi our pace and mentally I could tell see couldn't handle it. So I told her I wouldn't tell her anymore! Well, we got to the bottom to cross the onto the other side of the canyon and they stopped us! I have never been stopped in a race before, especially when we weren't going slow. Well, that killed our momentum. Kristi had a hard time starting back up so we kept together for another mile or so and then we split up. It was very hard race with the down hill so steep for so long. I felt it in my calfs and in my thighs everytime I went down or up at all.

By mile 11 I was ready to be done. So I had about a 1/2 mile left and I picked a lady that was listening to some mental encouragement to come with me. We took it in together which always helps me! Well, the finish line strech seemed to go on forever. But finally I saw my cute Jonathan and Dave! And I was almost done! I did it!

I finished! It was good to be done and I soon after felt the effects of the race. I am glad I did it with Kristi. I took a week off to let my body recover and tomorrow I will start running again.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Yay! That is awesome. I don't think I could ever do a half, but thinking of a 10K. I'm doing Pat's race in Feb. but that's 4.2 mi. 12 or 13 miles, whatever you guys ended up running is way too much for me. Thanks for being such an inspiration!

Dustin and Nicki said...

so proud of you both! I wish I could have run it with you! But congrats for finishing!