Monday, August 29, 2011

Happy Day!

So the last little while I have really been concerned about Sarah! But I just didn't know what to do for her. A few months ago I just was talking to my Mom and Sister about Sarah and I knew there wasn't something right about her developing with her communication, her oral fixations, she wasn't progressing like I thought she should. Around three is when Jonathan started taking off and getting caught up, which it is hard to say if it was just Jonathan was finally ready to start talking and learning more or if it was the Montessori school we put him in. Well, I have brought my concerns up with my Dr before, but he never seemed to be concerned (and when she was in PEEP she was tested out of speech cause they said she was improving- I was very upset and frustrated cause I knew she still had a long way to go!) With that said PEEP wanted to see if I wanted Sarah tested for the special needs preschool in the district. But I declined since PEEP tested her out of speech therapy and that is what I felt like she needed help with. So finally about three months ago I asked my Dr straight out for a speech eval (he is always willing to do what you ask him, but I have to have the ideas of what to do). He said sure. Well I finally got her tested in June and the lady was so great with Sarah. Without scoring her results she said she DEFIANTLY needed therapy. Well, I finally felt some validation that I knew what I was feeling was right. Well, she encouraged me to have her tested for preschool through the district. I told her my experience with Jonathan and how I had my reservations about it. She understood cause she also worked part time for another school district. So I went ahead to try to get her tested, but since it was summer there wasn't much testing going on. So in the mean time she also said that I should make sure her hearing was okay. So with both of these things I had to really fight to get these things rolling. Well, her hearing was okay, which is a relief cause I have problems with my hearing. There was a class that was being held back in July about Sensory Integration Disorder in the stake. I have read learned about this a little but I thought that it was not exactly Sarah. Well, I went to the class cause I felt like I should. I learned that there are degrees of this disorder and that Sarah has a mild cause of it and with increased sensory input into Sarah life she can work through these issue. But I learned that I have to work on her sensory issues before I can work on her behavior or even her learning. And I believe this is one of the reasons she has so many problems with oral fixation. But I knew first things first, I needed to first have her tested for preschool so that if she was going to make it I didn't want to mess up her chance of getting in. Well, today was the big day. I know how hard it is to get into the program, so I worked it. I did it on Monday when Sarah is the most tried from the weekend and then also at 11 am so she would be hungry. The more uncooperative a child is the more the don't answer the question and the more the have a chance of getting in. Well, she worked so hard and it was very apparent that she needs help and not just her mother could she it the tester could to and I could see them wanting to get her in the program and I just saying a prayer cause she needs this! AND SHE MADE IT IN! I was so happy because I know she needs help and we don't have the money to spend on speech therapy cause our insurance doesn't pay for it or Montessori. I also feel that giving her 6 months past the time of the normal testing helped show that she was very behind and not just a little bit like the PEEP people told me. This was a little tender mercy that I feel that Heavenly Father gave our little family today! Next, step is doing and IEP, so if anyone has any tips I would love it!

6 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my gosh, this is so Drew but the complete opposite of the sensory disorder spectrum. His nervous system seeks after the high energy and he wants to go and go and can't get himself to stop at times. I had to fight tooth and nail to get him into the preschool program. I totally understand 100% of your frustrations. He was border line of getting in and I totally thought they were going to not let him in and I about cried when they said he got in. For him it is really hard to see at times because people just think it is normal 4 year old boy stuff. But I knew it was not normal when compared to normal children in preschool and church. Good for you and sticking with your guns. Aunt Lori told me about some books and I read the Out of Sync Child which confirmed what I was thinking and the Out of Sync Child has Fun. That book gave great ideas on how to help the struggling child. For Drew, the Pre-K program has been the best thing for him. Even though they might kick him out at any quarter, he is learning so much and now knows how to control himself. Goodluck!!!

Sorry for the novel. :)
And when he went in for his evaluation, I purposely put him in a tag shirt, didn't feed him a snack because it was at 10:30 AM, totally changed up his routine that morning just so the team would see the problems and it didn't phase him that 1 day. I about died. He was great but of course I change things up the next day and he is a horrible mess.

Camber said...

Isn't it awesome to be validated? Way to stick up for Sarah and fight to get her what she needs!

Linda said...

I am so glad that Sarah is going to get help. Please continue to be your child's advocate. You are the only one that will. I love you!!

Becky said...

That's awesome Shirlene... everyone always says nobody knows their children like their mother. Dad's are great, don't get me wrong, but mom's have that special sixth sense about what is going on with their kids. You should trust it, you are a great mom and you do know what's best for them! :)

Farr Family said...

Those tender mercies as so precious!!! We have been there with Dallin. He has an IEP and if it is the same kind of thing, we came up with goals that we want him to work on. The teacher expanded on the wording and gave her input. Dallin even has some simple, basic goals but once he met those we had another IEP meeting and changed his goals. I don't know if this helps. Good luck- Mom's always know best!! Follow your instincts!
Kimberly

Julia said...

I am so glad that you have been able to get on the road to early intervention and helping her. What a great blessing that she got into the preschool! Yeah! What a great mother you are for being so persistent and helping her get some extra attention.