Monday, April 21, 2008

Jonathan never...

This past week I started to clean out our lundry room cause we are going to redo it. And I kept this box in the family room cause I knew that Jonathan would have fun with it- and he do. He got into it and I pulled him back nd forth in the dining rea and he just loved it, he also played peek a boo with me.
Our funny boy!



Jonathan never cease to amaze me. So this past week I was changing Sarah and Jonathan was in the nursery with me. Then I turned around to see what he was doing. Then he was gone. I couldn't see him or hear him. That usually means that he in exploring something. So I kept changing the diaper, but I got a little worried. So i started calling his name, and he came out of his hiding spot. He just made me laugh, he was under Sarah's crib.
This past week I have really notice the communication barrier between Jonathan and I. He is getting really frustrated and mad at times cause I don't know what he wants (Jonathan has a limited vocabulary he knows a few). He screams and cries a lot- just trying to communicate. The peep people have said to work on signing with him. But he hasn't really picked that up. Dose anyone have any suggestion to get me through this time? Jonathan stayed in nursery the entire time this past Sunday, it was so enjoyable for me! He is 18 months tomorrow- I can't believe it!Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Emily in Wonderland said...

Hi Shirlene! I saw you added me to your Facebook Friends so I think I get to comment on your blog now!!! lol

OK, my minor in college was ASL, and I used to do panel discussions on Baby Signs- when I was a preschool/toddler/infant teacher I used to run a sign program with all my kids, and then go in the other classrooms and teach too. SO I have alot of experience- but I haven't taught in a looooong time now.

It sounds to me like Jonathan really needs a way to communicate with you. You are right on the ball with sign language being the key to that until his verbal skills catch up.

Sign EVERYTHING to him. Everytime he cries and you know he wants something, ask him each thing it could be and sign it over and over and over again. Show him with his hands the sign and tell him YAY GOOD BOY- even when he is not doing it at all and you are doing it for him, and he is just crying. At some point his little baby brain will go- what was mommy just doing with my hands again? And he will start to do it. You have to make a HUGE fuss over him doing it.

So, for example, he is crying, and you make just the once sign ( no need to sign a sentence, just the single word- like diaper (for dirty diaper) or food (so sign just eat) or milk. So you would go, "Jonathan, do you have a DITRY DIAPER?" and sign diaper over and over again. Then say, "Joanthan are you HUNGRY?" and sign eat over and over and over again, and so on, until you find out what is wrong. When he is a happy boy- let's say you are giving him dinner- say, "jonathan say PLEASE" and show him the sign for please, and then do it for him. Do it every single say, anytime you give him something where he should be saying please if he were older. He will catch on. But you have to do it alllll day long with absolutely every opportunity you have. Sig it for him, and then show him with his hands, and then do it over again yourself and act really happy.


Wow I wrote alot. LOL Try it out and see. I promise it will make a difference over time. Just gotta be REALLY consistent. All of my kids signed, even the babies. :)

Amy said...

Cute pics of your kiddos. I like all your Americana stuff. Great job decorating and great job on the awesome deals you found. Both jonathan and sarah are growing up so fast. As for the whole signing thing, don't be frustrated. I tried to teach Drew it at 6 months and went all the way to 12 months before giving up. He understood some signs I would do but was always too lazy to do the signs himself. He'll get through this faze. It's just all about growing up. goodluck!

the DeCampos Family said...

I signed the basic signs to my girls. They sometimes would come up with a different sign which was fine. I would just do that sign. It may take a few months but he WILL get it and it is so nice to communicate that way. A hard thing is to teach yourself first and remember to do them. Don't give up on it. I have some flash cards somewhere. I could look for them and send them to you to borrow. Let me know.

Our Family said...

Cindy that would be great to borrow the cards- if you can find them if not its okay!

the DeCampos Family said...

Yeah email me your address!!