Friday, March 18, 2011

Seeing improvement


So I have been reading the parenting book at night and it has some really great ideas and helps me to understand why Sarah acts certain ways and how to deal with it, and coping strategies for me to handle things myself.
Today I was reflecting that the last few days have seem to be getting better. In the book they talk about sleep and to protect it. Well, Sarah was lucky to get maybe 10 hours of sleep a day and she needs at least 12-13 hours. Well, she has started to sleep in the spare bedroom, which is really good for her. She thinks that it is a privilege and there isn't any toys to play with or brother to talk to and play with and usually she would do all that and then keep herself wake by singing or talking to herself. With being by herself she just has to lay there and talk to herself and the last few days she has gotten about 12ish hours of sleep a night (maybe a little less). But it has made a big difference in her mood. Also they talk about just having time alone and this week she will lay in the spare bedroom and lay quietly and then play in Jonathan and her room for another hour. It has also helped Sarah to calm down and relax and not have stimuli for a bit. I have also been concentrating on talking to Sarah about her feelings and emotions when she is very intense, which helps me and hopefully helps her to understand maybe what she is feeling- also getting down on her level. Sarah takes her time getting ready and there really isn't hurry her up. So this morning we had an early appointment to get somewhere at 9:30 and had to leave about 9:15- I let her know we where needed to get ready to go and that she needed to finishes her breakfast. In the past I would have just said you took to long (since this was your second bowl) and scooted her along. But I got everyone in the car and everything I needed and then she was finally finished and she seemed happier that she was ready now.
I feel that as I take a special effort with my Sarah that she is able be happier and express herself better- and I can understand her better. Like yesterday she needed to wear a wrist band at the museum we were at and right when she put it on, she wanted it off. She is very sensitive to to tight things on her body, I talked to her about it and why she needed it and why she might have not liked wearing it. Well, by the end of the time there she was very persistent and she was able to get it off. In the past I would have been frustrated, but now understanding her personality- I was able to just laugh and have understanding. I am thankful for learning to try to be a better parent, which is a continual process

4 comments:

Linda said...

What a blessing the Lord is blessing you with--to see dear Sarah as he sees her. You are a great MOM and Dave is a great Dad! We love you!

Amy said...

She sounds so much like my Kylee. That's why we have tried 3 times to put our kids to bed together, but Kylee can't handle it. She wasn't falling asleep till 10 at night. Then she was super cranky all day. So Drew now sleeps in our closet and Kylee on a toddler mattress in Drew's bed. As soon as she can handle sharing a room, she will go in Bryce's room. Drew actually prefers the closet. Anyway, aren't 2 year olds so much fun??!!!

Shelly Beth said...

You are a great example of always trying harder to become a better parent. I have borrowed that book from Isabelle's teacher and haven't read it yet. I should!

Jessica Munk said...

Thats great! A few years ago, I was looking for some books to read to help with Zac and similar behavioral things. In addition to spirited child book I found aother one that was amazing! I got it through the Interlibrary loan. Its called "The Highly Sensitive child" by Elaine Aron. It made a HUGE difference and helped me to know how to handle things with him. They also have a website: http://www.hsperson.com
I am currently reading "The New Strong-Willed Child" by James Dobson, which has been great for both Zac and Max in making sure we keep consistent good behavior. Its amazing the things I learn reading these types of books!