Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Mom I love School!

On Monday Jonathan came home from school with a big smile on his face, Mom I love school.  Oh, How come?  I just do, I love recess! 
Well, on Tuesday I had an early Parent teacher conference with Jonathan's teacher.  Jonathan is doing well, and has a great teacher to help him succeed!  She told me about a day at the beginning of school when the white board was full of an assignment that they have to write out.  Well, write and math are Jonathan's trouble areas.  So I guess when Jonathan saw this, he put his head on his desk (that is saying he can't do this- I saw it many of times last year and still see it at times).  Well his teacher called him up to her desk, and made a deal with him that he just had to write the first sentence.  Well, I guess ever since that day he works hard and he loves journal writing time.  And they have five areas that he can pick to work on each day and his teacher says that he choose to write in the blue journal each day.  Shes says that he is a hard worker, friendly, and happy.  She says that kids gravitate to him cause he is friendly and happy.  She also said that he is always contributing in class, and helping and concerned with others that are having a hard time!  These are things I knew but, it was nice to hear it from someone else. 
I am very impressed with Jonathan's school.  Jonathan really struggles with Math but excels in Reading.  So for his math, he is pulled out to get him caught up, while the other kids in his class plays a math game.  Then he comes back in for the math lesson and in the class they a have a pair or tutor that helps Jonathan out.  (He doesn't have an IEP or anything written in his school plan; they have seen that he needs help in this area and are giving him what he needs).  He loves having art class, music class and PE.  I was told great things about his teacher, but after talking with her I can tell that she knows how to work with Jonathan and push him to work hard in the right way; she is a good fit for him!
I am going to type out a sheet Jonathan filled out and his teacher gave it to me during the meeting.
Where I am.... Where I am Going
I like school.  Thumbs up
I have school friends.  Thumbs up
I feel safe at school.  Thumbs up
My teacher likes me.  Thumbs up
At school, I am good at.... writing in my blue journal.
At school, I want to learn... more math.
Math is interesting because I like to see how numbers go together.
Reading is fun because I get to read about giraffes.
Writing is fun because I write about my friends.
School is fun. My blue journal is my favorite.
My Friends
Taylor, Nolan, Keyan, Julia

No comments: